Other Resources

If you or someone you know needs help with food, you may need help with other resources too. That is why we have provided a few resources you may want to call for help that could include with shelter, clothing, support for domestic violence, where to apply for SNAP (food stamp benefits), WIC, General Assistance, and other help.

United Way

Most United Way offices can provide referral assistance to help with emergency needs. You can contact your local United Way through the national United Way website.

New Mexico Human Services Department(NMHSD)

The NM Human Services Department is another way you may want to apply for help with state programs. Visit the NM Human Services Department to access their main website to find information.

NMHSD Divisions

  • Income Support Division – for people who may need help with Temporary Cash Assistance (TANF), General Assistance, Low Income Energy Support (LIHEAP) and SNAP (food stamps) benefits. Offices are located throughout the state. Find the office near you by calling 1.888.473.3676 or 505.827.7250. Visit the Income Support Division website for additional information about their programs and to download applications to apply for help.
  • Medical Assistance Division – for those in our community who may need to apply for Medicaid. Visit the Medical Assistance Division website or call 888.997.2583 or 505.827.3100.

Other Programs

  • WIC (Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for NM Women, Infant & Children) – the program provides supplemental food to participants and education on nutrition, breastfeeding and referrals to health and social programs. WIC helps women with children up to 5 years of age. Visit the WIC website for information.
  • The Summer Food Services Program – this is federal summer food program run by the NM Children Youth and Families Department. The purpose is to help children who may not have enough food to eat during the summer. In NM, many children rely on the free/reduced breakfast and lunch program during the school year. Once school is out however, children may not have adequate nutrition over the summer months until school is back in session. To find a list of Summer Food Program sites in your community call 1.800.328.2665 or 505.841.4856 or visit www.summerfoodnm.org. In Bernalillo County you can view a list of food sites online.
  • Farmer’s Markets – Community members that receive SNAP benefits may use their EBT cards at many Farmer’s Market locations throughout the state. Visit http://farmersmarketsnm.org to view a list of participating locations.
  • Many Farmer’s markets and retail locations participate in the Double Up Food Bucks Program, offering a chance to double your EBT dollars when purchasing produce. Learn more about how the program works here.